The course is designed to teach all the skills of sports management and coaching techniques, combined with the fundamentals of business
It offers a wide range of career choices from coaching and training for all ages, to management and marketing of sportspeople, events or facilities and even the opportunity to set up your own business in sports, fitness and leisure.
It’s perfect for sports enthusiasts who are interested in business and business enthusiasts who are passionate about sports. So if you’re fit and active with good people skills and an interest in sport and business, then this is the course for you.
This is a comprehensive academic programme covering all aspects of sport and sport science plus finance, marketing, management, IT and event management which enables graduates to work effectively in Sports Management and Coaching environments. State of the art 4th generation articifical playing surface, a fully equipped gym, large sports hall, video performance analysis laboratory and a high performance training coaching space all contribute to its excellence. And an emphasis on personal development and a degree of independent learning combined with teamwork will prepare you for a successful career in whatever aspect of this far-reaching sector takes your fancy.
Students on this course can obtain REPS (Register of Exercise Professional) accreditation as part of their studies.
Graduates from this course may be able to gain employment in the following areas:
- Management in commercial leisure enterprises
- Management of public leisure and sporting enterprises
- Management in national governing bodies
- Management of field sport clubs
- Careers in local authorities
- Sports development officers
- Games promotion officers
- Coaching officers
- High performance coaching positions with academics
- Speed coaches
- Conditioning specialists
- Olympic lift training coaches
- Personal coaching enterprise.
Garda Vetting Requirements
To ensure the protection of the public, and to justify public trust and confidence, the Institute is committed to ensuring that only suitable candidates are allowed to undertake specific parts of the programmes.
Without satisfactory Garda clearance, students will be unable to complete the programme or receive an award. All places on the course are provisional and subject to the student obtaining satisfactory Garda vetting from the Central Garda Vetting Unit.
The current legal minimum age for sole application for Garda Vetting is 18 years of age. In the event of an applicant being between 16 and 18 years of age, written consent is also required from a parent or guardian.Each student will be advised of the standard process by college staff during year 1 of the course.
In addition to Garda vetting a medical assessment and provision of personal references may be required in regard to suitability for placement.
All prospective students must be aware that the course content requires a high degree of physical capability due to high activity content.
View our full range of full time Sports Management and Coaching courses...
Our Sporting Prowess Programme provides an opportunity to students who display outstanding sporting prowess to participate on the Bachelor of Arts in Sports Management and Coaching BN020 (Level 7) and Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Sports Management and Coaching BN111 (Level 8).
- Up to 50 points are added to the Leaving Certificate or FETAC points of successful applicants.
Application Procedure :
- Applicants must apply to the Central Applications Office (CAO) in the usual manner.
- Applicants must also apply for our Sporting Prowess Programme by filling out our Application form.
- A portfolio exhibiting the applicants sporting acheivements must be provided with the application form.
- Two written references providing the information outlined in Section 4 of our form must also be submitted along with your application form.
- Applicants must make a new application under the Sporting Prowess Programme each year they are applying through the CAO for a first year course. Points awarded in one year do not carry forward.Minimum Entry Requirements :
- Applicants applying under the Sporting Prowess Programme should have reached an extremely high level of sporting achievement; a minimum of preparing and participating at the highest representative level in their sporting discipline.
- Applicants must satisfy the minimum entry requirements for admission to the Sports Management and Coaching courses Course code BN020 and BN111.
- Applicants who are awarded additional 50 points under this programme must achieve the minimum CAO points requirement for our Sports Management and Coaching courses.Application Assessment :
- Applicants will be assessed based on their application form, portfolio and references submitted.
- Applicants may be asked to attend an interview if it is deemed necessary.
Closing Date :
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 31st March 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
Please submit the completed application form, portfolio and references clearly marked Sporting Prowess Application to :
The Admissions Office,
Institute of Technology Blanchardstown,
Blanchardstown Road North,